No, dogs cannot eat Twizzlers. These ultra-popular and unserious candies are not dog-friendly. In fact, Twizzlers contain ingredients that are harmful or life-threatening for dogs.
Some of the troublesome ingredients in Twizzlers are directly harmful, while others exert their negative impact in the long run, over a prolonged period. Regardless, it is safe to say that dogs cannot eat Twizzlers.
Why is Twizzlers Bad for Dogs?
There are several reasons Twizzlers are bad for dogs – from high sugar content to the presence of toxic ingredients such as xylitol. Let’s take a closer and more detailed look at why Twizzlers are not a dog-friendly food choice.
Eating too many candies can wreak havoc on the dog’s digestive system and cause an upset. Stomach upsets are usually self-limiting and resolve quickly. However, in some cases, veterinary attention is warranted.
Too much sugar causes energy spikes in dogs which manifest with hyperactivity. Once the hyper episode is over, the dog becomes lethargic to compensate for the time is spent being overly active.
It is a well-known fact that sugar spoils the teeth. Just like humans, dogs are prone to dental problems. This is particularly true for small and toy dog breeds which have small jaws with crowded teeth.
Excess and frequent consumption of sugar leads to weight gain and obesity. Obesity is a severe risk factor for many health conditions, such as heart problems, diabetes, and certain types of canine cancer.
Twizzlers contain xylitol – an artificial sweetener that is highly toxic to dogs. A dog with xylitol poisoning is a life-threatening danger. Even small amounts of xylitol are hazardous to dogs.
Like all candies, Twizzlers are loaded with artificial ingredients – additives, colors, and preservatives. While the effects of such ingredients on dogs are not well-studied, it is a known fact that they are hazardous in humans.
Because of their sticky consistency, Twizzlers pose a serious choking hazard for dogs. Namely, dogs tend to gulp down their food, and a Twizzlers piece may accidentally end in the wrong pipe, thus impairing the dog’s breathing. Choking is a medical emergency.
Signs Your Dog Has Eaten Twizzlers
The signs of a dog eating Twizzlers depend on its size, overall health, and obviously the number of consumed candies.
In minor cases, the dog may go with a simple stomach upset, and manifest issues like:
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
The most severe consequence of eating Twizzlers is xylitol poisoning. The poisoning manifests with:
- Low blood sugar levels
- Tremors and seizures
- Liver failure
If your dog is showing some of these signs and symptoms, it is best advised to seek veterinary attention. The sooner it is evaluated, and treatment is initiated, the better the outcome.
What to Do If My Dog Ate Twizzlers?
If your dog ate Twizzlers, you need to stay calm and carefully assess the situation. By assessing the situation, we mean trying to determine how many Twizzlers the dog ate. Then, you need to call your trusted veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline.
Seeking immediate veterinary attention is critical because Twizzlers contain a toxic ingredient. Due to the severity of the potential outcome, in most cases, you will be instructed to bring the dog to the clinic for in-person diagnostics and treatment.
All in all, Twizzlers are hazardous for dogs and must never be given on purpose. The popular candy is loaded with potentially harmful ingredients and can make your dog really sick.
In case your dog accidentally eats Twizzlers, it is paramount to seek immediate help from a veterinarian. To prevent accidents in the first place, always keep Twizzlers out of your dog’s reach.
- Xylitol poisoning in dogs. What should I look out for?, Laura Playforth, 2020
- Diabetes in Pets, AVMA, 2022
- Dental disease in dogs, PDSA, 2021
- Symptoms of Hyperactivity in Dogs: Everything You Need to Know, Dan Richardson, 2020