Mushroom gravy is a delicious accompaniment to almost any dish.
Surely when you are eating it your dog will give you that tender look asking you to provide him with some of that tasty dish, but you must resist and not succumb to that look because this food is not so healthy for your pet, read on to find out why.
Mushroom gravy is made with oil, butter, garlic, flour, spices, and of course mushrooms, separately in minimal amounts these ingredients usually do not cause any discomfort however, to make gravy we use larger amounts than our dogs can digest.
- Allergic reactions
This digestive discomfort occurs for several reasons, as we will see now:
Dogs can tolerate small amounts of garlic and some spices however in high amounts a component of garlic called allicin which is known for its antiparasitic benefits (in small amounts) can alter the normal bacterial flora in the intestine and generate vomiting, diarrhea, or an intoxication.
Flour is not a necessary food for dogs, it is a carbohydrate that when given continuously can raise sugar levels and predispose them to hormonal diseases, and the best for our dogs is to avoid it.
Butter and oil combined are not an ideal mix to provide fats to the diet, there are other healthier options such as some beef cuts.
So avoid giving mushroom gravy to your dog.