Would you like your dog to live longer?
Well, more than a century ago, the microbiologist Elie Metchnikoff, author of the book “The prolongation of life”, identified that yogurt contains bacteria capable of reducing pathogenic microorganisms in the intestine, which leads to greater longevity.
Since then, the power of the intestinal microbiota to maintain our health and that of animals has been studied.
In dogs, it has been shown that probiotics increased the number of beneficial bacteria in the fecal matter and decreased the number of clostridial organisms (bacteria associated with gastro-intestinal inflammation).
And how is yogurt related to fruit, especially cherry?
Thanks to fruit, bacteria can colonize the colon, since fruit is a source of fiber, which promotes the colonization of bacteria available in yogurt.
Fruit yogurt contains active bacteria that can overcome stomach acid and intestinal gastric juices, contributing to the microbial balance in the gastrointestinal tract.
Especially, cherry has an antioxidant potential, which allows the body’s cells to prevent or delay damage.
Within the benefits, it has been studied that:
- Improves inflammatory diseases of the digestive tract and infections due to bacterial overgrowth.
- Improves colon problems or constipation.
- Prevents and relieves allergies and atopic diseases
- Prevents respiratory tract infections
- Avoid sweet yogurts, added sugar does not generate benefits for intestinal health.
- Avoid yogurts with xylitol, a sweetener present in food for human consumption that can be toxic for our dogs.