Expert advice on “can dogs eat burger patties” tells us “yes” but with a qualification. You’re on a picnic enjoying a burger patty, also called a hamburger and, you feel like giving your dog a bite. If it’s a plain burger, it’s alright. But, if with added salt or spices, don’t.
Plain burger patties, especially when cooked, make a healthy protein source for your dog. Uncooked patties may have bacteria like E. coli, and salmonella, that are harmful to your dog. Adding spices also to your burger like onions can lead to your dog getting anemia.
Burger Patties Nutrition Facts
The following list shows the nutrition facts of burger patties:
The figures get based on a serving size of 3oz (85grams)
|Amount per serving||% Daily Value|
|Calories from fat 107|
|Total fat 12grams||18%|
|Saturated fat 4.5grams||23%|
|Trans fat 0.5grams|
|Polyunsaturated fat 0.4grams|
|Monounsaturated fat 5.1grams|
|Total Carbohydrates 0grams||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0grams||0%|
Note: The percent daily values based on 2000 calorie diet
Benefits of Meat in Burger Patties to Dogs
Some of the main ingredients in burger patties are ground meat and meat alternatives like grains, vegetables, and legumes. The meat types commonly used are lean ground beef, chicken, and turkey.
When cooked well, meat serves as a good people food with lots of health benefits to your dog as follows.
- Meats like beef provide your dog with a protein’s quality source essential for its muscle building.
- Beef contains vitamins B3, B13, and B6 and minerals like iron, zinc, and selenium. Those properties help keep your puppy full, at a healthy weight and enhance skin and coat health.
- In addition to beef, burger patties also can include organ meat like beef liver and heart. They’re full of nutrients and are appealing to your pup.
If the burger patty contains meat alternatives, the dog will benefit as follows.
- Legumes such as beans have plenty of fiber. Soaked and cooked beans are healthy for your dog and help in reducing flatulence in your dog.
- Grains contain high nutrients like fat, antioxidants, and carbohydrates and improve your dog’s skin, hair, and immune health.
- Vegetables are nutrient-dense and provide your dog with minerals, antioxidants, fiber, vitamins, and phytochemicals. They can protect your dog from cancer and other illnesses.
Risks of Burger Patties with Raw Meat
A report by Purina indicated that meat should get cooked to a safe temperature to remove harmful bacteria. That advice originated from a new study reported in Journal Vet Record that proved that raw meat contains various bacteria dangerous to pets and humans.
The report indicated that raw meat has harmful bacteria like E. coli, Listeria, and Salmonella. These bacteria pose a health risk to your dog leading to foodborne disease and other bacterial infection types. The meat is also dangerous to people as they can collect the bacteria leading to foodborne illness.
Preparing Burger Patties for your Dog
Take the following steps to prepare burger patties for your dog.
- Start by adding the meat to a skillet, break it up on the pan, cover with water and boil until well cooked.
- You can add recommended veggies in the skillet and sauté them with olive oil.
- It’s advised you add the cooked rice to offer more flavor and texture. That has the added benefit of reducing digestive issues.
As always, serving the treat to your dog should get done in moderation.